First Impressions
I am a total clown.
This morning I strutted into the BRAC head office laden with a backpack full of books and articles, my laptop on my side, and a scarf strategically draped across my shoulders for modesty. It was at approximately half past oh-nine-hundred hours that I spotted him: A short man with a head full of silver gray hair dressed neatly in a dark suit and heading toward the elevator (lift) about ten yards ahead of me. Everyone seemed to jump to attention as he walked by, the door guards saluting him, each person in his path wishing him a hardy “Assalmu alaikum!”
I realized then that it was Dr. Fazle Abed, founder and chairperson of BRAC, and one of the most well-known and highly revered personalities in the world of development. He started BRAC in 1973 as a modest project to help fishermen repair their damaged boats after Bangladesh’s bloody liberation war. BRAC is now the largest indigenous development NGO in the world.
Looking for the networking opportunity of all networking opportunities, I bolted toward the elevator in hopes of striking up a conversation with this great man. I was a BRAC intern for 3 months in 2003 and have been a Fulbright scholar here for two months now. I’ve never met Abed bhai, but have heard endless stories of this diety-like figure who is very rarely in the office. He’s usually lecturing at universities around the world. I had spotted the Yeti. I squeezed into the lift and just as I was about to open my mouth, my cell phone started ringing. I fumbled around in my backpack, dropped my laptop, tried to keep my modesty scarf from slipping off, but I couldn’t find my phone. It just kept ringing and ringing, and everyone in the elevator was shooting evil glares at me, as if to say “don’t you know who this IS? Show some respect for Allah’s sake!” I finally just let it go...it would stop soon. As soon as I turned around to say something, Dr. Abed got off.
I wanted to yell out “Wait! I’m not really a Bozo! I’m a Fulbright scholar! FUUULBRIIIIGHT SHOLAAAAR!!!!” Instead, I said nothing. Total clown.
I wanted to make a good first impression. Well, at least I made an impression, right?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home