Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Quick Lunch Post

As I mow on some penne putanesca, I will give you a little update.

Musical Choice of the Week: Led Zepplin, Houses of the Holy. Sonya left it in my car, and I realize how lax I have been in praying to the Gods of Rock lately. I've been rocking out so hard all week, I've completely ignored the international news. I can always count on Mindy to fill me in, though (she's an NPR junkie). I guess there was hurricane in Florida or something?

Ankle Briefing: Things are getting better with the ankle. The swelling and bruisuing have gone down significantly, and my limping is attracting less pointing-and-laughing by my coworkers. I must admit that I nearly hobbled myself for life when I tried to wear some high heels to work rather prematurely. Big mistake...HUGE.

Best New Mom Recipe: Tofu rancheros with avocados...muy tasty! Yes Mom, I mean it. No I'm not just saying that because I'm your daughter. Yes, I think it's marketable to the general public (Mom's been thinking about starting a catering business and I've suddenly become her culinary critic).

Creepy Movie of the Week: M. Night Shyamalan's The Village. I typically avoid scary movies, and this one got mixed reviews, but I loved it--predictable ending twist and all. I also couldn't sleep the entire night after I saw it. Hell, I got scared after the first Harry Potter movie (that 'Womping Willow' thing is freaky).

Best Dive Bar: My long-time buddy Amber and I made another stop at "Poor Arthur's" last night for a drink after Thai food. That place is a category of its own. It's Trashy Country Bar Chic. Actually, it's really not chic at all. It's more like The Wild West-meets-bad-acid-trip. The building is outlined in neon pink lighting and the entrance is a huge covered wagon. It's awesome. It was at Arthur's that the second person this month told me I looked "like that one girl from ER." I assume they meant the Indian doctor character, who also starred in the international smash-hit Bend it Like Beckham. This tends to happen in dive-bars, where persons of South Asian descent are few.

Must get back to the grind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home