My Parents are Great
"Welcome back to Bangladesh Dad!"
These are words my father never thought he'd hear in his life. But this weekend, he and my Mom took the shortest international flight in the world--35 minutes from Kolkata to Dhaka--just to visit their little girl. We had a nice time together. They got to see where I worked, slept, played, and brushed my teeth every night before bed.
Some parents visit their kids at college. Some even make the trek out to DC when their kid does an internship on Capitol Hill. My parents visited me in BANG-LA-DESH, an alcohol-free country where even looking at tap water could give you hepatitis. They are beyond hardcore.
Highlights of their visit included:
-a two hour wait to pick them up at the airport with diarrhea and no bathroom in sight
-Mom's claim that "tik-tikis (small lizards) are nice people."
-Thanksgiving dinner at a US embassy staff member's home, at which "then there was that one time that Tanya..." was the main topic of dinner conversation
-Dad freaking out due to the lack of an appropriate hair dryer for his treasured locks
My parents are great.
On a weblog house-keeping note, I will be incommunicado for the next several days. I am (finally) going to the village to do some first-hand research interviews. I'll be heading to Ulipur, about 8 hours north of Dhaka near Rangpur district. I just hope I don't get malaria.
Tah Tah for a while. I will post again upon my return (Inshallah).


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home