Friday, April 29, 2005

Double Dozen

Yesterday was my 24th Birthday, and it was very happy. While I’m not thrilled to be moving into the “mid-twenties” box, I was excited to hear from my Mom, Dad, sister, and John. I got happy birthday wishes all day from all around the world through email, text messages, and in person. Yacine and Karishma took me out for lunch at my favorite Korean place. The women at the Nari Jibon office sang me Bengali songs and hand-fed me chocolate brownies (everyone made me take a bite as I handed them out) that Katie baked. All in all, it was a great day. My friends and family always manage make me feel special on my birthday, no matter which time zone I’m in. I am so lucky (sniffle).

We had a big rooftop party to celebrate both my birthday and Karishma’s going away. She just got back from her one-month tour of Burma/Myanmar and her yearlong stay in Bangladesh has come to an end. She’s headed back “Stateside” for a few months before pushing off to the UK for grad school. It was a fun party, very laid-back affair. The weather was foreboding for a bit, but we ended up with a cool breeze, not a drop of rain, and a fantastic lightning show. Some people were bitten by the dance bug and wanted to break it down, but I was too nervous to start the hustle while our bariwallah (land lady) was fast asleep below us. If my Dad were there, people would have been limbo-ing with reckless abandon within minutes of arrival.

Anyway, see pics below. I am due in for a low-laying couple of weeks in Dhaka. My research is really picking up, and I had a successful trip to the field (village) this week. I’m hoping to go back soon, and to show you some pictures of my gracious interviewees.

Keep me posted, and I’ll do the same. Ciao.

TKP

2 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger Rings said...

Happy Belated. may you be happy all the time.
mind if i link u!?

take care.
*cheers!

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello! happy birthday! i found your web page a few weeks ago and I have been enjoying it tremendously, especially because i just found out i'm a fulbrighter going to bangladesh for 05-06! ahh!! i have a million questions, but one in particular regarding bangla language proficiency. shoot me an email at yoursoulkitchen@hotmail.com when you have a minute, and I will be most grateful.

thanks!
Bridget

 

Post a Comment

<< Home