Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head

It really is the "rainy season" here. I wake up every morning to overcast skies, wet sidewalks, and a cool breeze. It's actually quite pleasant--our apartment no longer feels like the seventh circle of Hell. I even had to use a light blanket the past few nights to avoid getting to chilly under the fan. Everyone seems to be enjoying the rain. Little kids are playing in puddles everywhere, and people who work outside for a living (brick breakers, rickshaw pullers, etc.) are clearly relieved not to swelter under the unforgiving South Asian sun any longer.

I'm moving this weekend. I'll be house sitting at that fabulous American diplomatic house in the Baridhara for the balance of my time in the 'Desh. I'm looking forward to some peace, quiet, and an oven where I can make lasagna (which I haven't eaten in a year) and brownies.

I just purchased the extended cut of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I've spent all my free time the past few days glued to Jennet's laptop watching documentaries about the costumes, horse-trainers, and set designs for the movie. My dorkitude has reached new levels.

I made hummus last weekend for a potluck dinner at Doug and Miki's (the house where I'll be sitting). It was easy and REALLY tasty. You throw some garbanzo beans and a cup of tahini in a blender, squirt in some lemon juice and garlic and that's it!

OK, I can't believe my weblog posts from Bangladesh have resorted to discussions on Frodo and the virtues of Meditteranean bean dip. I'm either homesick or in a serious rut.

Must run. Lunch meeting with new Nari Jibon English teachers.

I'm out like Gandalf at the bridge of Khazad Dum...

TKP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home