Thursday, July 13, 2006

Bombs in Bombay


On Tuesday a series of seven bomb blasts on the Mumbai (Bombay) local train routes sent shockwaves through India. Two hundred people were killed and over 700 were injured. I tried calling our relatives in Mumbai to make sure they were safe, but the phone lines were jammed for hours. I hear everyone's okay and that it's back to business as usual in the financial capital of India. The News channels here are broadcasting bomb-related stories around the clock. I was scared to take the metro to work the next day, but probably without cause. There hasn't been a public attack in Kolkata since the attempted bombing of the American Center a few years ago. Now they've fortified the entrance with Indian military dudes, metal detectors and barbed wire. What would I do, anyway? Life has to go on. These things can happen anywhere I guess.

A side note, I spent some idle time the other day reading the Kolkata Metro's list of items not allowed on the train. The three bullet points were 1) "Offensive (smelly?) Items," after which there was a long laundry list which included live poultry, animal carcasses and dried fish. Live poultry? Well...this is India. 2) "Dangerous Items" like bombs, guns, battery acid and about 23 other obvious no-no items. 3) "Dead Body." No further elaboration given.

Would bringing a deceased relative's ashes in an urn count?

2 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am amazed that Passing gas is not on the list of not allowed actions. Back when I lived there, I had to ride for 1 hr with folks doing this action the whole time. Awful. My mother after riding the bus for 1 hr everyday from work to home, went straight to the shower (with a disgusting look on her face) and got cleaned up before saying hi to the family. I think they should add this f...ing action to the list.

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love the anonymous people in this world. Whoops, I guess I'm one of them.........

I'll admit.....I'm from Wormster....I mean Wormtown....I mean Worcester. I've been reading your postings (how I hate to say or repeat or type the word "blog") for the past year or so. Certainly another view into another life.

Stay well over there, and come back when you're finished. We need good articulate eloquent people like you.

When you are back, if you see me at Moynies, give me a quick wink. It'll make my day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home