Monday, December 06, 2004

Random Observations

I hope you like the new blog format. In lieu of posting actual pictures, I thought I'd give you all the visual sensation of a new blog set up. It's been almost six months since I started a weblog, too. I thought I'd give my blog a little face lift as an anniversary present.

Random thoughts this week...

*It's "winter" in Bangladesh, which means about 64 to 70 degrees F during the day, cooler at night. People here are bundled up like its the storm of the century. Half the men here have their heads and necks wrapped up in woolen scarves and resemble some kind of haphazard ninjas. I was actually sweating yesterday.

*Is coffee a natural laxative? I think it is. I definitely think it is.

*I'm wondering if development is really "my bag." I've had so many discussions-come-arguments with fellow interns over lunch that make me start to think maybe its too slow paced for me. I mean, every other word in the interviews we transcribed from our research trip was "cow." Plus, can you really make a difference working in this field? Development NGOs are starting to look a lot like multinational corporations lately.

*I'm moving for the fourth and final time this week and I DO NOT want to pack.

*I'm starting to wonder when criticism becomes cynicism. I've met too many people here who are incredibly intelligent, but a drag to talk to because everything (microfinance, gender consciousness raising, even Thai food) is condemned as "laughable, stupid, a bad idea, etc." I'm all for being around people who think critically, but I feel like I'm being sucked into a black hole of nihilism when I'm with those who write off everything but themselves.

*I FINALLY learned how to eat rice with my right hand. This is huge. I'll explain why some other time.

Thus endeth the stream of consciousness. Tah tah for now.


1 Comments:

At 4:28 PM, Blogger Carl said...

What's going on Tanya, I was wondering the other day what winter must be like in Bangladesh, for some reason I thought it would be cold there. This might be a stupid question, but are there any Christmas decorations up? Maybe like as a joke or as part of a global holiday decoration of some giant corporation? Is there some other holiday stuff going on around now?

Hope you are still kicking ass out there, like the new color scheme on the page as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home