Thursday, June 30, 2005

Dysfunctional Desh

Greetings from the land-o-perpetual strikes. Today there is yet another general strike, and the nation is again shut down for the day. I read an article in the Daily Star (Dhaka's #1 English daily) that the economic loss from strikes tallies up to about 15% of Bangladesh's GDP per year. They've become so common that people rarely know what the strike is about anymore. I think today's has something to do with the national budget? Perhaps the leaders of the goverment decided only to personally pocket 50% of the people's money, and some greedy parliament members thought it wasn't enough. Oh well...at least I have the day off and I can start packing for my big move tomorrow.

1 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Staggering, isn't it? Oh, and, not only that, let’s screw the environment too while we’re at it. Let’s cut one of those skeevy but financially lucrative deals with a totally incompetent Canadian company, and let it drill holes in a volatile gas field until it blows up and creates a disaster that we’ll remember for the next fifty years. I mean, WTF, if you’re gonna crawl around in the muck with someone, couldn’t you at least find somebody who knows his ass from a hole in the ground---aaaahhhh, I mean, gasfield?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home