Viva Las Elvis
I just opened possibly the strangest email I've ever received from my Dad. It's not a chain mail or some kind of Nigerian Oil investment scheme, but TWO pictures of my father dressed up in a white Elvis-style jumpsuit--complete with bellbottoms and sequins--singing to throngs of screaming fans at a talent show last month. At first I thought it was Dad's head on some kind of cardboard cut-out thing, but it was the real deal...complete with the big Elvis glasses. I couldn't believe it. Then again, this is from the man who still competes barefoot (and wins) at table tennis championships on the weekends. My Dad.
Things are pretty hectic on this side of the pond. It's been quite hot, and I'm in a mad rush to write my paper for BRAC, get my rickshaw assembled and painted, write a curriculum for the English classes, arrange all my housing and financial aid stuff for school in the fall, get some last-minute shopping done, and pack. I've hit that three-weeks-to-go denial phase, where I keep thinking I have "plenty of time left" to sit around and chat/watch movies. The EXACT same thing happened to me last fall just before I was getting ready to leave for Bangladesh(ref. TKP weblog 4-September-2004). Truth be told, my days are numbered and flying by fast. Its so depressing.
On another note, I've realized that I am more than ready to get out of here. I've been extremely moody and extraordinarily agressive of late, and I don't like it. I feel like an Incredible Hulk version of the once kind and empathetic Tanya. I am quick to get angry and yell at drivers who over charge me, I had a big shout-out with the lady who's moving in after us, and the once sweet and quirky things about my interactions with people here have now become a constant source of annoyance for me. I think I just need to go home, where my music's playin'...


2 Comments:
Garfunkle:
Hang in there. I have a feeling that even an annoyed, moody Tanya is far from Hulk proportions. I must admit, however, that I'm thrilled I won't be a major player in your "I've got plenty of time left to pack" game this time. I'm still recovering from my 12-hour- drive-to-GR-and-pack-Tanya marathon stateside last September.
Be careful, his bowtie is really a camera.
xoxox,
-s
C'mon! Don't taunt us with these awesome pictures of Mr. Palit as Elvis! You must post them!
Hang in there, dude. Wish I could help you run around and shop. I'd even be down for a procrastinating chat.
Post a Comment
<< Home