How the Election Ruined My Cookie
Yesterday I was walking into the University Center between an afternoon nap and an evening class to get a cookie when I was confronted by a stalky young man in a red Clark sweatshirt who was running for president of the undergraduate student council. He asked my name and where I was from. I told him "Tanya" and "Michigan," at which point he proceeded to tell me I had "an exotic name." I could feel my blood-cookie-levels plummeting and was in a rush to barrel past him, but then he prodded me about what year I was and my ethnic background, adding that I "had an exotic look" to go with my exotic name. At that point, my feminist sensibilities took over and the urgency of baked goods took a back seat to my need to school this arrogant, presumptuous kid (a kid who looked in his early 30s). "What do you mean 'exotic'?" I asked. He kind of fumbled and mumbled something about how he was Greek and thought I was Greek too and how I should vote for him. I told him I was Indian, a grad student, and in a rush, but that I would tell ALL of my dear students to vote for him. He then pumped his arms downward in this strange, sports-like celebratory move and shouted "you're da bomb, Tanya!" Da bomb? An exotic bomb, perhaps?
Afterward I was sitting in the Bistro mowing on my cookie and couldn't get the incident out of my mind. I hate being called exotic. I know people think its a complement, but its just downright racist. The most disturbing thing was that for some reason my cookie started to taste oily, overly minty, and like a heavy piece of sweet bread. I could barely finish it!
The candidate ruined my afternoon AND my cookie. That is just unacceptable.


2 Comments:
Looky...Looky...I stumbled across Tanya's cookie.
much love,
jimmy
You totally don't look greek. What a weirdo. He had better learn how to not tokenize people if he thinks he wants to win student council president.
Brings back old memories of ASMSU, huh. Which, by the way, can be found in wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASMSU
Post a Comment
<< Home