Update Grande
I have been bed ridden for the past week or so, which explains my absence from cyberspace, my internship, and life more generally. My infection-turned-abcess has returned for a devastating hat trick (three times since last November!). The past week has been a flurry of relatives, doctor's visits, overseas phone calls to distressed parents, and the word "surgery" tossed around casually. The whole situation has been painful indeed but even more infuriating. I didn't travel to the other side of the planet to lie in bed and watch reruns of "The King of Queens" on Indian TV...I came to change the world!
Thankfully, my family and extended family both here and in the US have assembled themselves into a well-oiled machine of medical care and concern. Their efficiency and use of technology to convey messages rivals even the deadliest military. Operation: Family Nightengale.
Anyway, non-health related items of note...
1. World Cup fever is sweeping the subcontinent (that's soccer for you US citizens out there). Most people in Kolkata are Brazil or Argentina "shupportar" (supporters). I am personally rootin' for team Togo. What? They have a shot in Hell! Americans are always suckers for a promising underdog. Rudy! Rudy!
2. Being sick and absolved of responsibilities has allowed me to finally read the novel "Brick Lane" by Monica Ali, which I'm thoroughly enjoying. It's a story about a Bangladeshi family in a famous London district and the scandals of everyday diaspora life. Best quote? "Gossip is the Bangla national sport." I hear a rumour that it's true.
3. I miss Clark. Maybe it's just being lonely here without a cohort, but I miss my friends and Moynihan's and the Zapatistas (basta! ya!). I miss the pond in our neighborhood and thud of reggaeton beats. I miss lively class discussions. I've taken to discussing Amartya Sen's thoughts on capabilities with myself in the bathroom.
4. I AM my Southpark character. I recently purchased thick, black, square plastic frames that make my resemblence to my animated TKP profile picture undeniable. My father's dreams of me entering the Miss India-USA contest are now officially dashed. Or perhaps they were already crushed when I won the coveted title of "Pilsbury Doughgirl" circa seventh grade?
5. I love my music. I can't even drink my morning tea without rockin' out with my little white buddy iPod. Here's my playlist of late (thanks for the inspiration, Kim):
"Say My Name" - Destiny's Child
"I Don't Believe You" - The Magnetic Fields
"War Within A Breath" - Rage Against the Machine
"Te Estoy Buscando" - Ozomatli
"Check on It" - Beyonce
"Runnin' Out of Fools" - Neko Case
"Dry the Rain" - Beta Band
"Gone" - Kanye West
"Everything I Need" - Melissa Ferrick
"Sweet Jane" - Velvet Underground
"Everybody Hurts" - Dashboard Confessional
There's more, but I'm secretly at a cyber cafe on Park Street and my aunt will get worried if I'm not home soon.
I hope you're all well wherever you are. As my boss and anthropology comrade Dr. Earle says, sleep with the angels...
TKP


6 Comments:
I know the current Miss India-USA...
I hope you get better!
Oh and the whole "Gossip is the Bangla national sport" thing... I've never heard truer words in my life. Thanks for my new life quote! :)
Get well kiddo. Come back to Worcester healthy.
Get well my darling, come back home, where ever that fits your definition.
Love,
Mamasita
Oooo, I secretly love Destiny's Child. Unfortunately my DC album was stolen out of my car and I can't bring myself to buy it again. Say my name - excellent song, but my favorite is "Bug-a-boo."
Togo? Well, after watching them give South Korea a hard time I'm willing to say they are pretty good. However, they're having money problems, which I'm sure will hinder their performance greatly. They don't even have a coach right now I believe!
I miss hearing Gasolina, Gasolina, every 5 minutes on my street!!
Post a Comment
<< Home