Monday, May 22, 2006

The Arrival of Mem Sahib

Yes, Mem Sahib has arrived in Kolkata.

"Mem Sahib" is an old British Indian colonial way of saying "English Madame," and by English Madame I mean myself, of course. My family likes to call me that from time to time to poke fun at my odd Western ways. Roughly 24 hours ago, my flight landed at S.C. Bose International Airport and was greeted by my "mama," Bengali for "maternal uncle."

My family has been taking superb care of me as usual. Maybe too much care of me in fact. Today there was a huge fight among 5 or so parties (one on the phone) about whether or not it was okay for me to eat some kochuri (fried lentil bread with potato curry) for breakfast. As they bickered among themselves about the future of my gastrointestinal health, I sat half awake and starving, staring at the plate of maligned-but-tasty street food. I felt that it was something of a summer foreshadowing...

The heat and humidity are ridiculous, but its nice being able to wear a sleeveless shirt without attracting hordes of gawking young men or having a fatwa put on my head for indecent exposure. Wow, living in Kolkata is gonna be so different than living in Dhaka.

Maybe not that different, actually. I was awoken early this morning (around 4am) by the call to prayer from the mosque next to our house. Allahu Akbar! God is Great! I was startled and thought I was back in the 'Desh for a moment.

Anyway, must run home before my uncle closes the iron gates to the house. If I don't make it, I'll have to stand in the street and yell up to the balcony for my cousin to come down---a recipe for a boca (Bengali-style tongue lashing).

goodnight from the subcontinent,

TKP

5 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its the Chronic-what-cles of Kol-kata! Yes! Keep rocking TKP. Heart, Christie

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Meg Daniel said...

Glad to see you arrived safely and have already gotten yourself wrapped up in really important topics of discussion! ;) Take care of yourself and don't go to Wendy's to order a chicken sandwich. Love ya! Meg

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Katie said...

You made it in "o-wan pees", thank God. I like the new blog look, dude! Oh yes, I do love the Skittles.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Rings said...

cool u! enjoy!!

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the opposing party won. Being a Mother that's all I can wish for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home