Meh Bharat Ko Pyar Kartahe (I love India)
Even though the north Indian desert is freezing at night and none of the buildings are heated, even though I got the runs the moment our plane touched down in Delhi, and even though its cities boast the most pollution of any in the world, I LOVE INDIA.
I arrived in Delhi yesterday after an overnight with my Mom in Kolkata. What I've seen of the the India outside of Bengal is amazing so far. This country is so beautiful and diverse. We were greeted at the airport by a Haryanian, driven to our city by a Punjabi Sikh, and rode with some Marwari passengers. On the way to the small agricultural town where the conference I will be attending this week will be hosted (Women, Work, and Globalization in South Asia and the EU), I saw an elephant, camel, and three wild peacocks (at a rest stop!).
Delhi city is chaotic with its 4 lanes of human, cow, cycle, truck, and car traffic, but it's beautiful. It's both modern and ancient at the same time, with newly constructed roads circling ancient Moghul tombs and towers dating back to the 1100's. Virtually everyone speaks English here, and you can find an internet cafe ANYWHERE. No wonder college hippies have been traveling here since the 60's.
In fact, I'm sitting in a cyber cafe right now, but I have to go. I'm a mile away from the campus I'm staying at and the sun is sinking. Must hurry back before dark. Will right more later....
TKP


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home