Finals: Stoking the Fires of Friendship
There's nothing to get me thinking about the people in my life that I don't get to talk to enough like finals. Here's a list of friendships I've been rekindling in order to avoid finishing my two papers due Tuesday...
1. Katie Z., Fulbright Bangladesh Alum (www.imkt.blogspot.com). Sorry to gush, but I'm always humbled when I think about how much she's accomplished in her mere 28 years: college, a wonderful marriage, a loving child, a Master's degree, a Fulbright fellowship, and now she's applying for a Ph.D. Work it sister.
2. "Big Red" Christie. Although trying to get her to call you back is like seeking returns on your investment in a Nigerian internet oil scheme, I heard from my dear high school/college friend this weekend. She asked me to "send my schedule" so that we could plan some time to hang out together over the break. The only thing on my schedule is "create Tanya-shaped groove in couch upon watching too many movies." Gotta love her sense of time management though.
3. Ms. Jennet (aka "English Madame with bright skin"). My former Dhaka roomate of only two months actually returned my phone call--first time this semester--and we chatted for over an hour. I think Jennet should abandon her global health path and dive into a career in clinical psychology. In a mere 60 minutes, she coached me through a series of personal neuroses with the deft precision of a trained psycho-therapist.
4. Bridget M.A., US Embassy intern extraordinaire. We knew each other only a short time in Dhaka, but she invited me to attend her b-day soiree in DC. "Invited" is a bit meek--it was more like badgering. At least she cares enough to coerce though. I was touched.
5. My grandma in India! Even though the connection was horrible, I wanted to call and say hello like I've been promising to do now for months. She's so sweet. She immediately had me list the things that she should be worrying on my behalf(health, diet, weather, etc.). Guess it runs in the family (ref. blog entry "The Worry Machine," Nov-2004).
Don't be surprised if you get a call from me this week "just to say hi." I'd rather have an extensive conversation with your voicemail than put my bum in a chair and work.
Off to...eat...then work..seriously...
TKP


1 Comments:
Madame, you are cute, but your price, NOT CUTE!
So now the whole world (ok, the whole Tanya's-blog-reading-world) knows that I don't call anyone back!
But glad I could help and it was great to talk to you as well! We'll get you down to warm Atlanta next semester, I promise. And maybe we can convince Bridget to as well. We actually have a Bangladeshi restaurant here...
Post a Comment
<< Home