Pizza Rut
I am on the mend physically these days and back at home. I thought I had it in me to go to work this morning, but I just couldn't make it. It wasn't the abcess pain this time--'twas the much more insidious Pizza Hut cramps of death.
In a sudden weak moment of homesickness and loathing the thought of more rice, I decided to pick up a "veg lovers" personal pan pizza from the Pizza Hut on Camac street last night. I'd be home alone that evening and it seemed like a good idea. In my experience, Pizza Hut is actually a euphemism for "devastating cramps," dairy-induced in the US and of the bacterial persuasion in Asia. Ah, the Hut did not let me down.
I nestled into bed for some cold soda, a hot pizza, and Sex and The City reruns on HBOIndia. Just as I took the first bite, my grandmother called urging me this time to behold the Australia vs. Brazil World Cup match. Four minutes into our conversation, the power on our block went out. Routine Kolkata "load shedding," or electricity shut down due to grid overload. For the next two hours, I cursed Jyoti Basu's name and sat on the balcony, fanning myself with a palm leaf haath paka and eating coldish pizza. These are the times when I fantasize about living at home with my parents and working a summer temp job at some company that manufactures car ashtrays. I awoke this morning around 4am to horrendous cramps and nausea. Thanks be to God for Pepto Bismol.
George Bernard Shaw once said "I dislike feeling at home when I'm abroad." I think I'm getting a little too comfortable and sliding tragically into sloth and thereby a research rut. *Sigh* It's too hot to be productive, and I'm too unhealthy to kick it into high gear. I'm determined to head back to work soon, but I am worried about overdoing it and incapacitating myself. I have to move my bum on my M.A. paper, too. Two months left and counting. Any words of encouragement?


3 Comments:
It sounds like your body reacts to Pizza Hut the way my body reacts to Kentucky Fried Chicken. If I eat KFC I will, inevitably, get explosive diarrhea accompanied by the worst cramps in the world.
I don't eat it often, but I never seem to learn my lesson since it happens EVERY TIME. Every couple of years I get a hankerin for some KFC...
What is up with the South Asian Pizza Hut? Do they not refrigerate the cheese?
I think you have reached what I like to call the "one month freak-out" stage of your stay. I have found that every time I visit the 'desh, I start to have a nervous breakdown around one month out. Don't worry, it'll pass. Just take one day at a time, and if that's too much, take it one Azan at a time. :-) I'm rootin' for ya TKP, and I can't wait to read your paper, so hurry it up!
ktz
Ok, as I am going through the same thing...I can't seem to get my MA paper in to high gear. I have read so much and have actually done the TOC and began the first part of it, but I would rather sit at a sidewalk cafe and make fun of what the English women are wearing!!! DAMN me for having a fashion sense!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home