Thursday, March 17, 2005

St. Patty's---Slainte!

"Slainte" is an exclamation used in Ireland that is belted out before taking a drink. It means something akin to "to your health!" I dunno, that's what the coasters at Bennigan's say. Give me a break. Oh, and happy St. Patrick's Day. This is the second St. Patty's I've spent in Bangladesh in the past three years.

Nothing much to report. I'm in Dhaka trying to work through the stuff I need to get done in the next three months before my grant officially runs out. It does not look pretty. I've got interviews, transcriptions, translations, readings, and analysis. I'm getting that end-of-the-semester-someone-shoot-me-please anxiety.

I am also developing a mild addiction to "American Idol," which is shown on the Indian channel 'Star World' every week. I can't believe it, but something about that show that provides semi-talented post adolescents with the opportunity to become and industry-molded pop stars has sucked me in like the vortex of a tornado. I find myself yelling out commands like a Dad on Superbowl Sunday: "You're out of tune! That's the wrong song for you! Good stage presence!"

Ugh, tax season is upon us. Oh yes, don't think being overseas and on a government grant exempts me from having to fill out 300 forms and dish out the dough. I do not like taxes. I do not like them overseas. I do not like them in the breeze, I do not like them with red jam, I do not like them UNCLE SAM!!!

Plans for the weekend? Work on my French, attend a five-year-old's birthday party at Pizza Hut, and try desparately to upload pictures to my weblog. Wish me luck.

Tanya

1 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

TKPlantain:

Download that "Picassa" program that should be on Blogger's home page. It works with Blogger to upload your photos to your blog. It's a piece of cake.

Mmmm...cake.

xoxox,
-s

 

Post a Comment

<< Home