aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggh!
I have six (or "choi") days left to go, and am having a bit of a meltdown. Today my sweet friend Sangita sucked it up and helped me clear the last of my stuff out of "my" apartment in Banani. I say "my" in quotation marks because even though it is still in my name until July 25th, the young Bangladeshi intern who is taking our flat after us--who we allowed to move in three weeks early--has taken over my home. Both of her parents and her live-in maid are now "crashing" at my place. It doesn't even look or feel like my flat anymore. It smells like turmeric, all my stuff was shoved into a corner in my locked bedroom, and their family's futon couches and brightly colored plastic flowers are taped to the wall all over the apartment. I feel a bit decieved...she made it sound like it would be just her and a coupla boxes. I thought I was getting a roomate, not the getting the boot out of my own home. They wouldn't even help with June's bills. I tried to explain that we pay our bills retroactively, thus living inthe flat in July means paying June bills. They stuck to their obnoxious guns saying "but we did not live here in June." Hello! Retroactively! I give in. I've already expended enough precious time and energy bickering. I hate having to conjur up all the negative energy it takes to give someone a "jhari" (Bengali tounge-lashing). In one week I'll be downin' Denny's at 2:00am with my girlfriends and laughing about the whole thing.
Feeling a bit disoriented. Our friend Sholeh came back to BD after a long hiatus. Hanging out with her tonight to catch up. She landed a job with the Aga Khan School for two years. It's a long post for Dhaka, but if I can do a year, she can hang for two.
Anyway, must run and pick up money Mom wired me. Lost my wallet and ATM card...AGAIN.
Someone get me a cocktail and a ticket home...
TKP


2 Comments:
Hang in there tan. We'll be chompin' on some seasoned fries from the den before you know it!
- peggy
Order some blueberry pancakes for me! I miss you and the girls so much...make sure to call me when your at the den!!!!! Have a very safe trip home and know that we are all soooooooooooooooo proud of you! Love ya!
Post a Comment
<< Home