Saturday, July 29, 2006

Things People Say

"Ugh, I had to sit on the plane next to all these Park Circus goonda (thug) types the whole plane ride."
-a friend of a friend during a night out. She didn't realize that Park Circus is my neighborhood. Now I kinda want to get a "Kolkata O.G.s (original goondas)" shirt made. South Central Kol yo!

"There is always something left to love. And if you ain’t learned that, you ain’t learned nothing."
-Mama, from the play "A Raisin in the Sun," about a black family in South Chicago during the 1920's. I saw the Kolkata stage version of it last night, directed by a Sr. Fulbrighter friend and acted entirely by Indian players. It was awesome (and interesting, given the mingling of accents).

"This tofu is like the density of a black hole. Hey! I think I just saw it suck in some particles of matter!"
-Me, re: the thick tofu at an expensive Thai place with Monisha. She said it was quotably cute.

"Madame, you should diet. Then you would be pretty attractive. You have nice eyes and all."
-Shoe salesmen to me this week. I think it was a complement?

"Wake me up/Before you go-go/Don't leave me hanging/Like a yo-yo."
-The brilliant and poignant lyrics of George Michael. I went to a dance club last night where the bar tenders get on the stage and dance to this song, juggling flaming bottles of vodka. It was so wrong it was almost right.

4 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Blogger Meg Daniel said...

I'm glad to see that the quote board was not lost past our Case Hall/829 days! Keep working hard and having fun.
Love ya!
Mama-roo

P.S. You are hot ALWAYS!!!!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Bride said...

Ugh... I hate how people back in India/Bangladesh/Pakistan think that if you aren't 90 pounds then you are fat... and obviously don't have a problem commenting about it.
*sigh*

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger angela said...

i would like to add to the great lyrics file (re: 80's music)
"karma chameleon".

love it love it love it. like old motown, sadness disguised by the beat.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Arkava said...

I second your opinion. My home is in Park circus too, near Shiraz, and though I am away from home right now, I still think I deserve a shirt in case you start handing 'em out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home