Beware of Monkeys
Well I've been in Dhaka for six days now, and I've already narrowed down my apartment hunt, gone bowling, bought a cell phone, joined the US club (a country-club like place with pool, tennis courts, bar, restaurant, etc.), gone out for ice cream, recieved more vaccinations, had a work out, got into a street altercation with some college girls fighting me for a cab, and made a date to visit Dhaka's only night club--it's called "Privilege." I'd say I'm getting pretty settled in.
Keisuke, my fellow Fulbrighter, is playing in a basketball demonstration tonight against two Georgetown University players. It's funny that he came all the way around the world just to get his butt kicked in basketball by some semi-professionals. I'm going to see my friend Faisal this weekend. I think we're headed out for dinner Friday night (which is like Saturday night here, since the work week is Sunday-Thursday). That means I should be saying "TGIT." The weekend is on its way!
Saturday I'm scheduled to view an apartment in the cushy diplomatic district, then I'm off to visit some relatives. It's times like these that I really treasure being Indian. It's almost an unwritten code that if anyone who is remotely blood-related to you rolls into your part of town, you are required to a) show them a good time b) provide housing and c) force-feed them as much as humanly possible. It's like the hospitality mafia--an extended family that always "has your back."
I leave you with a handy phrase that I've collected from my lonely planet Bengali language phrase book:
"Beware! the Monkey may try to snatch food from you!"
I have a feeling I'll be using that more than I thought...
Khoda Hafiz,
TKP


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home