Escape from Zia International Airport
Assalamu Alaikum!
In return, you are supposed to say "Walaikuma Salaam." It means "May God's peace be with you," and in return "And also with you." It's the traditional Arabic language greeting in Bangladesh as in all Islamic countries. It's also the way the glamorously dressed Biman Bangladesh Airlines "air hostesses" greet you when you board the tiny, humid aircrafts with 1970's floral upholstery. I forgot all about the prayers in Arabic that are said before the plane takes off--nothing like in the US. I mean Northwest Airlines usually bids you a pleasant flight, but asking for God's blessing before takeoff just isn't part of the friendly skies I guess.
Anyway, got into Dhaka today safe and sound. I took South Asia's shortest international flight: Calcutta to Dhaka in 35 minutes. As soon as you put your tray table down for a snack, you're folding it back up for landing. It's hot here of course, but surprisingly more tolerable than Calcutta. I'm currently at a BRAC intern get together in a gorgeous flat in Gulshan (where I may be living) hanging out w/ my colleauges. Partying all ready...
I do love Dhaka. I forgot all about the charm of the call to prayer every few hours and the lack of human and diesel car congestion that plagues Calcutta. I'm excited to travel around the country, which I didn't get to do much last time. I'm also excited to live in Dhaka proper instead of the semi-remote village area of Savar, where I was under semi-house arrest in a training compound (complete w/ 24 armed gaurds).
Anyway, I shall get going now. Everyone's in the room next door watching an American movie. It's funny that one of the first things I do in Dhaka is have a beer and watch a DVD. True cultural immersion.
Tata for now.
TKP


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home