Your Love is Like a Roller Coaster
Bloggers:
How are you? This week has been a series of ups and downs. It's always like that in the 'Desh, though. You just have to take it in stride and keep on rolling like the Buriganga River.
UP: Starting working on a brand new project this week after breaking free from my much duller, more "cookie cutter" type program evaluation research I was doing earlier.
DOWN: I got literally "kicked out" of my NGO's Health Program when I asked to work with them. There's too many interns on that floor, and the last thing they need is me hogging all the good data, I guess. That's cool, I can take a hint (sniffle).
UP: Got to visit the Bangladesh Liberation War Museum in Dhaka this week. It is AWESOME in terms of the amount of info housed in the tiny space. Yes some of the exhibits are slightly dodgey, others quite graphic, but it's very moving. There's a case with human skulls of some of those massacred in by the Pakistani army. Good (but massively unorganized) book store/gift shop, too. I went totally crackers and almost bought one of everything. Jai Bangla!!!
DOWN: The Embassy announced that Fulbrighters are no longer allowed to use their medical clinic. I'll be damned if I have to go back to another Bangladeshi clinic. Last time I went to one, the only "service" I got was a big bucket to puke in and a barrage of wide-eyed stares from a group of 30 towns people.
UP: Went bowling last night for Keisuke's birthday. I'm usually humiliatingly bad at the sport, but I was on fire last night after two beers. I averaged two strikes per game. It's a mystery.
DOWN: After the assasination of the country's Ex-Finance minister in a bombing this week, a 60-hour hartal (strike) has been called. No cricket game. We had tickets to see Bangladesh vs. Zimbabwe and were going wear homemade Bangladesh tee-shirts. Political volatility is like, a major bummer.
UP: John is here. He is the best. He cooks for me often, does dishes, and listens to me rant about my day after work. Here's the best best friend a gal could have (second only to diamonds).
Big wheel keep on turnin',
TKP


1 Comments:
3KP! It turns out that Googling 'Tanya Fulbright Bangladesh BRAC' is an effective way to find your blog without knowing the address. I'm glad I did.
First things first: how could you not have told me about seeing Amartya Sen in person?? Being a Poli Sci/Econ student, I've also followed his work since early on in university and am equally enthralled by him. Too bad we didn't know he was here in Dhaka.
Lastly, you missed out big time on the cricket today. I'm sure K and Arif will fill you in, or perhaps our photos that will likely appear in one of the local papers will do all the explaining for you. Hartal? What hartal?
This is an extraordinarily long comment, so I'll end it here as I'll likely be talking to you in person sometime soon.
Take care and keep blogging,
Per
Post a Comment
<< Home