Monday, July 18, 2005

Goodbye but not Farewell

Yikes!

Three days left to go. I'm leaving for Calcutta on Thursday morning, then flying out to Bombay-Amsterdam-Detroit the next night. Today I had a meeting with the American Center staff to reflect on my Fulbright experience and give recommendations to improve the program. As usual, I had a lot of suggestions. I was glad to get some sense of "closure" from the meeting. Things have been feeling pretty anti-climatic lately.

Dr. Ward left this morning. I stopped over by her place last night to join the packing party in her guesthouse. My "help with packing" comprised downing a tasty bowl of red spinach and potato curry while having my right hand artistically decorated with henna paste (mehindi). It looks pretty cool, but smells funny. I would post a picture, but my film camera recently bit the dust quite literally when I dropped and broke it in the dirt near the Buriganga river. Mehindi tends to creep some people out. Kei says "the pattern is too intricate or something."

There's a saying in Bangla that goes something like "this is goodbye, but not farewell." It really captures how I feel about this place. Last time I left I had a strong feeling I'd return, and return I did 18 months later. I have that feeling again this time. I don't know when, but I'm sure that for my thesis field work or maybe just for fun, I'll be back on the shores of Golden Bengal very soon.

1 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tanya,
Congratulations on completing your adventure in Golden Bengal. I've really enjoyed reading about your life and times. I'm very impressed at the connection you've forged with the homeland. Something all of us Palit-scions should aspire towards. Congrats once again, I am a truly proud didi. Pupudidi (a.k.a. Deblina)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home