Monday, August 01, 2005

Summer of Sloth

Ah, welcome back.

I would normally toss out some excuse about why I've been so "swamped" that I haven't been able to write in my weblog, but I have no such alibi. Since my last post, I drove down to Ann Arbor for the better part of my sister's work week so that we two could spend some quality time together (and also so that I could listen to NPR and nap blissfully on her couch while she was hard at work). She actually took me into her "evil laboratory" of oral cancer research at the University of Michigan this week to meet her boss, coworkers, and cell samples. I was awed by what I saw: confusing charts, sci-fi looking machines that tossed beakers full o' chemicals about, and important-looking equipment. I feigned science competence by snapping on a pair of latex gloves and sporting a white lab coat, but no one bought my attempts to look "sciency," even though I rubbed my chin, squinted my eyes at some experiment and repeated the word "interesting..."

I am back in Van Rapids engaging in a desparate battle against lethargy and sloth. My suitcases remain unpacked, and my list of things to do sits mockingly upon my desk. I will get started soon...right after "Hollywood's 101 Juciest Hookups" is over. I actually watched that this morning. Brad and Jen won the top prize. Did you know they broke up? I've been out of the country for way too long.

Meanwhile, my sister is still in town and we are spending an unprecedented amount of time together, even if its just chilling on the back deck while she reads Harry Potter and I soak up every word of my newly purchased book on personal finance for the young and dim. I've highlighted every other paragraph so far.

In closing, I leave you with a few handy British phrases that confused the Hell out of me when I first heard them from my British friends and coworkers in Bangladesh. It's interesting to think that we speak the same language in Grand Rapids as people in Newcastle. I have done my best to translate these phrases into American English. I feel that I am truly fulfilling my Fulbright goal of "mutual understanding between nations":

1. "He's my mate from uni (pron. you-nee)" = "He's my buddy from college"
2. "He seems quite smarmey" = "He seems kinda like a player"
3. "I'm feelin' a bit peckish" = "I'm hungry"
4. "I'll have a butcher's" = "I'll take a look"

That's all for now. More wacky UK vocab to come...

toodles.

TKP

1 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Blogger The Hard-working Slacker said...

Dude I'm feeling equally slothful as well these days and I haven't even been anywhere apart from that 2 week break in Dubai I guess.

Further to your list of British slang, I would like to point out that stuff like 'I'll have a butchers' isn't how everyone in 'quaint little England' speaks, although I've got into the habit of saying 'Uni' too simply cos' its so easy to say and just takes so little effort.

And THAT, my friend is evidence (as if you ever needed it) of the inevitable bastardization of the English language.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home