Thursday, August 18, 2005

Woostah

I have arrived in Worcester--pronounced "Woostah"--Massachusetts. I cannot spell that word, so I will follow the local example and just write "Mass" from here on out.

My Dad drove my Mom, Sister, and I across Michigan, Canada, New York, and the tiny state of Massachusetts last week and helped me carry my belongings up three onerous flights of stairs. Naturally, it was the hottest week in Mass in recent history when I moved in. Though I've only been here five days or so, I've already compiled a list of things I like about living in MA and things that...um...I'll have to "change my sails cuz I can't change the wind" about:

MUY ANNOYING

1. Spelling Massacu...Massuchust...Machupichu...you know, Mass.

2. Having no car. I kept poo-pooing my mother's suggestions that I would need one until yesterday when I stood outside a bus stop for 35 minutes and ended up taking a 7-dollar cab ride home instead. Oh Ford Focus, why did I forsake you?!?

3. The puny Clark University campus. It's going to take some serious getting used to seeing the same 8 people over and over again. The campus is beautiful, but it feels oddly like a movie set of a real campus or something. I could trudge across the entire thing in 13 minutes or so (and y'all know I'm no Carl Lewis).

4. Our electric orange living room. Some joker (a joker who I'll invariably meet later this week) painted the place a hideous shade of tangerine last year. It makes my retinas tingle just thinking about it.

5. Prices. Groceries were outrageously expensive, and the sales taxes here are so insane that they have occasional "tax-free" shopping weekends. Hey, isn't this state famous for "stickin' it to the man" regarding taxes? I'm throwing a Worcester Tea Party if this keeps up...

MUY BIEN

1. Living so close to Boston. The commuter train is only $12 round trip, and I get to act like I'm a hip urbanite and ride the subway.

2. Saying "Claaaaak" and "Baaaastin." I think I've found the one accent I cannot imitate. "Haaaavuhd."

3. Hanging out at Harvard. My sister and I visited the campus and tried to soak in some of the smarty-pantsitude this week. I hope to attend some cool lectures and maybe be mistaken for a student.

4. The fly honies. They make you wanna Shoop. Sonya and I sat on a bench in the Boston financial district at 5:00pm when work let out and all the 20-something hunks in three piece suits carrying iPods streamed out of their offices. My sister remarked "excuse me, is there a city-wide hottie ordinance in effect or something?"

5. My multi-culti classmates. The best part of this experience will be learning from my fellow grad students. This year the diversity and range of experiences of students is stunning. Peace corps volunteers who worked in the Gambia, doctors from Japan, former World Bank employees from Latin America. I'm thrilled and honored to be among them.



That is all for now. I will post some pictures of my place (and my psychedelic living room) soon. Off to staaaaaat my work.

TKP

2 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I want to eat some of Alice's magical shrinking muffins and hide in your backpack so I can come to school with you! Keep blogging so I can live vicariously.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No car and high food price is an encouraging factor. Lots of exercise + less junk food = healthy body.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home