Saturday, September 17, 2005

Live from the Computer Lab: It's Saturday Night

Some Saturday night thoughts as I sit in the IDCE 24/7 computer lab taking a break from my oppressive homework...

1. I should be out partying

2. I shouldn't have gone out partying last night. After the conference, I proceeded to shake my money-maker with my colleagues at The Foo Bar until 2:00am, then stayed out "chillin'" til 3:30. Oy.

3. I told this freakishly tall, preppy-cute (but utterly annoying) guy with a plaid jacket last night that I was a Harvard Anthropology Ph.D. student researching the Zapatistas in Juarez, Mexico. He bought it after some convincing and remarked quite pretentiously that "He's at UMASS...we'd be a smart couple." Um....okay.

4. It's cold and rainy. And I need to do my laundry. I actually wore my "Fulbright" shirt in public today.

5. French people confuse me. A French scholar at the conference yesterday gave a talk about "Taking in interdisciplinary approach to studying historical constructions of gender and their epistemological roots in Foucauldian thought..." or maybe it was "Taking a Foucauldian approach to studying gendered constructions of history," Lord, I don't know. In keeping with the tradition of her countrymen (Sartre, Derrida, Foucault, etc.) She sucessfully confused the hell out of me. I tried desperately to understand, but the words slid from my brain like a teflon pan. It was brilliant, I'm sure, but she may as well have given it in French...perhaps I'd have understood it better? Je ne suis pas.

6. My high school war buddy EJ spoke in my class last week about Katrina and it was FANTASTIC. He brought his roomate and girlfriend and the three of them were brilliant--it really helped contextualize the situation for our students. If you're in the area soon, don't be surprised if you get recruited to Professor TKP's class as a guest speaker...

7. I miss TV. I realized yesterday that I haven't watched in nearly a month.

8. My sister is hilarious. Check out the pictures of her doing some practice dental drilling on a fake head for dental school (www.youareyoung.blogspot.com). I almost fell OUT of my chair laughing at them...in a supportive, big sister way.

Aight. I'm out.

TKP

1 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Blogger Kim said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home