Banana Creme Sigh
Like a banana creme pie in a clown skit, reality has hit me in the face.
Ah, but I would it were sweet and sensous as a pie! Pies don't have bed bugs. Or piled up health insurance bills. Or ten straight days of rain. My classes are the light of my life right now.
The exterminators came to our apartment today. They were nice, honest New England guys. Despite their reassurances that we should be 100% bug free by this evening, something in my gut was telling me to turn on my heel and run like Maniac Magee. My old comforter was covered in dead bugs. I saw one. It looked at me.
I actually bought all new bedding and even got a great deal on a new bed from an extra clean, super meticulous IDCE student who I know personally. I don't want to risk anything. I shrieked with paranoid horror today at a scrap of eraser rubber which I mistook as a bed bug I had carried into the computer lab.
I could gripe on about my Benedict Arnold of a body, about the upcoming IDCE retreat into the chilly woods, about the endlessly frustrating bureacracy of academic institutions and insurance ones, but I'll save it for an even rainier day.
sigh.
TKP


3 Comments:
Full compassion from me who's been "lurkingly" reading your blog for a while; I've had the bugs too and ironically, though been to Bangladesh two times, have not imported them from there but inherited them from the previous tenant of my flat. I remember quite well the horror when figuring out at 4am that I was sharing my bed with some creepy bloodsuckers whom I had not invited after I had been unclear for weeks where those fucking itchy bites came from. I was really paranoid for some while then as well and pestered all my friends with my bedbug phobia. Cleaning up the impacts of the extermination was the horror as well. Several textiles did not survive the 60°C - washing plus ruined the colours of other stuff. Keep washing similar colours together and put sensitive stuff in the freezer for some 24hours, that effectively kills bugs as well.
Hang in there, it goes over.
Hang in there, Tan-Tan. I know the world seems as if it is crashing down on you right now, but it WILL get better. I am glad to see that you are enjoying your classes...that is how your MA should be. Take care of yourself! Love ya!
M-roo
Tanya,
I have bedbugs right now too! I hate those little bloodsucking creeps. First it was an infestation of roaches, now bedbugs. If this continues I might have to move back to Michigan. Apparantly there has been a resurgence of bedbugs on the east coast. Many bedbugs died during the eighties due to DEET and other terrible chemicals. How I long for them now...Anyway, I'll send you some links on how to battle bed bugs. Their incubation time is 7-10 days and then a new batch hatches. There is no known way to kill bedbug eggs so your exterminator should return within a week to spray again.
In bedbug solidarity,
Libby
Post a Comment
<< Home