Monday, August 21, 2006

ghare-baire

Well, I'm back home. Flew into Chicago around 7:30pm Central Time on Sunday evening. Drove back to Grand Rapids the same night.

The flight was insanely long. Security checks in Kolkata, Bombay and London were nightmarish after all the new regulations in the wake of the recent bombing attempts. I wasn't permitted to take deodrant or toothpaste on the plane to brush my teeth in between the 4 meals they served each hour. "FCC regulations prevent you from attending to your personal hygeine...please remain stinky for the duration of our flight, thank you." It's a wonder my sister took the bold step of hugging me at O'Hare when I rolled my luggage forlornly (a word?) into the passenger pick-up area.

I was sitting next to a really sweet Punjabi Sikh man during most of the flight. He lived in Kolkata when he was a young bachelor and was delighted to talk about the city he loved but hadn't thought about in decades. He read my palm and told me that I had a "very good hand...very unique." Apparently, I could be a talented politician, philosopher or (and I quote) "businessman." My sister says one outta three ain't bad.

Now I have to unpack. And repack. Back to Worcester next Sunday for class on Monday. Oof, first I have to get over this jet lag....

*yawn

TKP 7:35pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home