"these are the days when it never rains but it pours"
Two weeks left. Just the facts, ma'am.
Current life theme song: Under Pressure - Queen and David Bowie
Health Status: just getting over a nasty chest cold thanks to Pishimoni and roasted ginger
Tastiest snack: The baked mushroom cheese toast at The Tea Table - Park St.
Best purchase of the week: A bunch of CDs from Music World, including cheesy Bollywood soundtracks Fanaa and Golmaal, slow Urdu love songs known as Gazals and a load of Golden Oldies Hindi karaoke discs for my Dad (Kishore and Asha and Lata--oh my!!!)
Number of times locked self out of house: 1
Number of family jokes made about scatterbrained bideshi niece: innumerable
Nerdiest thing I thought to myself: "I wonder if the word Sanskrit shares a linguistic root with the Latin word scriptus. The link seems undeniable."
Nerdiest thing I did: Googled the above query and found--much to dorky delight--that the words Sanksrit and scriptus do indeed share an ancestral root word from a Proto-Indo European language. Boo-ya.
Mosquito bites: 12 (gotta dig out that mosquito net!)
"Totally Kolkata" activity for the week: wandered over to Rabindra Sadan Saturday to see what was going on at Nandaan film centre and the Academy of Fine Arts. I happened upon a seminar called "Modernity, Development Paradigms and Displacement," an informal, interactive discussion with artists, academics and everyday Kolkata armchair intellectuals. The session was 1/2 in Bangla, 1/2 in English, both of which were spoken on levels far above my comprehensive abilities, but I was totally loving the true-blue (tru red?), cerebral Marxist Kolkata experience. Wish there were more women participating, though. All male speakers.
Just finished Reading: The Calcutta Chromosome - Amitav Ghosh. I totally didn't get it.
Currently Reading: Elements of Style - Strunk and White


2 Comments:
Thought you would be reading something more exciting or fascinating. Hearing about Elements of Style by Strunk and White reminds of my Freshman English class and Writing Center in college.
1. elements of style seems totally related to the hit TLC show "what not to wear". correct me if i'm worng.
2. you saying "i totally didn't get it"= making me feel like less of a moronic jackass for not reading all my lit theory...then or now!
Post a Comment
<< Home