Friday, March 30, 2007

Let me see YO' ID Walgreens!

Okay...did you know that you have to provide Walgreens with a valid drivers' license in order to purchase Alavert, an over-the-counter seasonal allergy medication? The reasons that this infuriates me are multiple:

1) The catch 22 factor: They say its because the drug contains Sudafed and they don't want people driving under its influence, but they didn't seem to care that my lack of a license was EVIDENCE that I wouldn't/couldn't drive at all, much less while doped up on Alavert.

2) The whole thing is clearly meant to further entrench government surveilance over honest, sneezy citizens. Big Brother lives. At your local drugstore.

3) They won't accept ANY other forms of ID. I lost my license months ago and gave them my passport (an internationaly recognized document proving that I am a citizen of the sovereign nation-state of the United States of America) instead. They wouldn't take it. I can travel to the West Bank and Gaza, but I cannot medicate myself for hay fever.

I realize that there are far greater injustices in the world than being denied decongestant. However, I simply will not embrace drug store bureaucracy. At the DMV? Maybe. But certainly not at the place where they sell maxi pads and dancing Santas side-by-side. This is an outrage.

Achoo!

TKP

3 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Another major reason for the identification requirement is because most over-the-counter decongestants contain ingredients that are used to make methamphetamine in home labs.

Because so many of the purchasors were young adolescents (under 16, presumably), checking licenses is designed to discourage them.

 
At 3:40 AM, Blogger michael_karo said...

can't you get a state-issued i.d.?

here in cali you can only buy so much at a time, to discourage meth production. it's an epedemic in some areas. it's why we don't stock thosr items on the shelves anymore in my store, people would just steal it.

remember, it's not walgreen's fault.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Well, passports are just SO easy to forge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home