Monday, October 04, 2004

Much like the fuming Mt. Saint Helen in Washington, I had an "eruption" of my own yesterday (Sunday) of the intestinal variety. It forced me to stay home from work. I got a cermonial Dhaka-style welcome from the country's water-dwelling bacteria and spent most of the day unable to do anything but watch cartoons (it's amazing--they have Cartoon Network here). I also had two pieces of toast and plenty of mango flavored oral saline solution. Not bad, actually.

I had a very nice weekend though. Very relaxing. I went to the American club again to work out and have a peaceful brunch by myself. I met the US ambassador to Bangladesh, a large African American man who I recognized immediately from the picture on the diplomatic website. He was on the stairmaster in the gym. As he worked on his quads, he told me all about his previous postings in Nigeria, other parts of Asia, and on the National Security Council in D.C. I tried hard not to get starry-eyed in nerdy awe. He is my international relations hero!

Overheard some interesting conversations in both English and Bengali this weekend:

In English: Two American women talking about a friends' bachlorette party at which there was a female "burqa stripper." A burqa is the body-sheathing garment many women in Islamic countries wear to preserve their modesty in public.

In Bengali: Two waiters at the American club making fun of the name of the American dish "pecan pie." When said quickly and in a Bangladeshi accent, it sounds much like the nonsensical phrase "begoon bhai," which would mean "eggplant brother" in English.

I wish I spoke some other languages so I could eavesdrop on a broader range of conversations.

Anyway, must get to work. Tah tah.

TKP

1 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

our countries dollars shouldn't be spent on these shananagans. and you're supposed to be a figure in the community. holy toledo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home