Wednesday, September 21, 2005

sleep is the enemy

I'm writing this post in semi-hallucinating state. I got roughly 2.5 hours of sleep last night as I waded through hundreds of pages of economic theory for my classes today. Then I had class all day and had to teach a class at night. I can't believe I made it through the day without slipping into a coma. Sleep is the enemy. Coffee is my soul mate.

We have wireless internet at our house, so I'm writing you from our cockroach infested living room. One of those little buggers actually leapt out of my laptop, which I left sitting on the couch. Feel like I'm back in Bangladesh again or something. We also have a variety of other pests in the house: fruit flies gaurd our stock of bananas jealously, mice scurry about our cutting board, retreating to holes near the stove at night. I don't mind the wild kingdom adventures. My roomates are more of the "extermination" mindset than I. What am I talking about? I need sleep.

I tried to engage my anthro class today and help them prepare for a quiz. How do you get a room full of shy first-year college students to talk about the "nation-state" and the IMF? Beats me. I felt like I was lecturing the whole time. I only saw pencils move when I mentioned the words "this will be on your quiz."

Anyway, must get to bed. My week of class ends tomorrow at noon. Then the REAL work begins. Weekends in grad school are like a cruel joke: dreams of a care-free holiday are crushed under the weight of course readers and historical volumes. Sigh.

1 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tanya, mice carries plague germs. Please wash with soap before using cutting board or any other kind of kitchen ware. I know vegans dont like to kill but for health reasons..Sorry to hear you are so sleep deprived. Give the freshers quiz everyday while you take a nap.
Love Mommy911

 

Post a Comment

<< Home