Wednesday, November 22, 2006

What to expect when you're not actually expecting

Nothing tells you need to go back to your regularly scheduled workout routine like being mistaken for a pregnant woman.

"You have the baby?!" the slim, young Chinese woman behind the bar at HoToy Polynesian and Chinese Resturant shouted in my general direction. I looked around briefly, hoping to God that she was addressing a stray Native American woman carrying a papoose.

Then she pointed directly at me, mimed a pregnant belly in the air and repeated her inquiry: "Baby? You have the baby?!?!" she asked again, excitedly. Having had a pint or two, my usual rapid-fire clever response capabilities were somewhat dampened. All I could come up with was "No, actually...I'm just extraordinarily chubby." She blushed and apologized profusely, but I swore I caught her making sidelong glances at me, hoping to spy a telltale outtie bellybutton or clandestine diaper bag.

At least I have the whole Thanksgiving break at home here in Michigan to painfully internalize the incident. Phew.

1 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Augh! We have to come up with a standard comeback for this. I've had it happen to me several times. Don't people understand abdominal fat?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home