Hey Beantown...you're A-Okay
Despite it's harsh, unforgiving winters, its sometimes persnickety populace, and its annoyingly Puritan sensibilities, I do love (the greater) Boston (area). I can't quite say Boston, since I reside on that "other side" of the Charles River with all the other Cambridge/Somerville riffraff. Hey, I'm no Kennedy. Living so close to Boston, however, I'm able to slurp in a great deal of the metropolitan culture, art and social activism that characterize my adopted hometown.
Tonight I'm going to a discussion group on Indian Muslim identity, then I'm headed to the club "The Middle East" to see DJ Rekha, a woman whose internationally acclaimed for her blend of bhangra beats, Bollywood, hip hop and electronic dance music. Tomorrow night, it's Ethiopian food for dinner, and this weekend surely holds a brunch or two.
Sure, its expensive, especially on my "save the world" salary. And sure, and at this rate, I risk becoming a pretentious, elitist, transplanted urbanite by fall 2008, but...being able to get delicious, home made veggie sausage in the brunch restaurant by my house makes it aaaaaaaaaaaaall worth it.


6 Comments:
Its great to have you back blogging again!
Yeah, seconded. I'm also back in MA (aaaaaaaargh), and I would love to meet up sometime, if possible. I want to go to a DJ Rekha event! I can never go to the ones in NYC 'cos I'm under 21.
You totally stole my idea of getting back into blogging! As if!
Just remember who turned you on to this little thing called Blogger. And I'm rethinking sending your Valentine's Day treat to you now.
Neener neener.
-s
Save the world salaries suck! DJ Rekha was here at MassMoCA just a month or two ago and I had to miss it. But maybe I can see her sometime in the near future when I come to visit you :) Glad to hear what's goin' on in your world these days.
<3 LV
I can't tell you how excited I am about coming to visit you! I'm seriously saving up!!
I just can't believe you made me wait so long for your next entry! *hair flip* Blog on little cuz!
Post a Comment
<< Home