Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I Reek of a Pyramid Scheme

Last night I went to the newly built, multi-million dollar YMCA in downtown Grand Rapids with my friends Sarah and Tad to do some exercise and release some much-needed seratonin. The last time I had a vigorous workout was almost six weeks ago under the same circumstances. Thank goodness for guest passes.

I was short of breath after merely hiking up two flights of stairs to the area where the large indoor track and impressive array of fitness machines seemed to mock me. I worked up a sweat giving the eliptical thing another shot (swivel your hips to fitness!) and making a meek attempt at weight lifting. A large, beefy guy was standing directly behind me, hands-on-hips, as I did the pull-down bar thing. He kept staring me down in the mirror and waiting until I got tired, presumably. He had a look in his eye like King Mufasa hunting down a hapless gazelle.

I don't what I was thinking, but I decided to shower at the Y. A bit prematurely smug, I took my towel and mini shampoo from my Jansport backpack and commenced to the showers. Unfortunately, the muggy misery of the showers mimicked the 90 degree humidity outside. Plus I forgot the essentials, which sadly included sandals, underwear AND soap. I was forced to cleanse my person using the weird foamy stuff in the dispenser on the wall. Bleh. It was most likely provided by the Grand Rapids-based Amway corporation, internationally famous for 1) innovating the "pyramid scheme" and 2) providing the world's people with poor quality, cheaply made products one could easily purchase at a local store for a fraction of the price.

I went out with some friends for dinner and spent the rest of the night paranoid that I smelled like an annoying capitalist venture. You can't hate on Amway out loud in Grand Rapids, though. They employ like 30% of the population.

4 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger angela said...

oh, we can't forget what amway has also given our glorious state: the lovely betsy devos and her deep-pocket gubernatorial candidate hubby, dick. seriously, going by the name DICK is an obvious sign of the devil.

gosh, your description of soap was so on target that now i fear the cookies evie and i are baking smell like amway!

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Kim said...

If you would like, you can update my blog link to my new and improved teaching blog called www.showmeteachmeblogme.wordpress.com. It's my teaching blog. I'll only be posting on it from now on. (well, maybe I'll do one more farewell blog post for the Nati.)

Hope the job hunt is going well.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Meg said...

hey - unrelated to the pyramid scheme...when do you move to bean town? i have a housewarming (and head warming) gift that every Bostonian must have...

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so now that you have a job are you going to get back to blogging? your fans miss you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home