I had forgotten why I loathe this town
This week I saw someone I went to highschool with and suddenly remembered why I've always wanted to get the hell out of Grand Rapids. Within ten minutes of saying hello, he managed to spew out the most incredible chain of anti-semitic, racist, homophobic and mysogynistic things I've heard in years. "Hey, does the 'K' in your middle name stand for 'kike?'" Why is that even a joke? How was I supposed to respond to that? Perhaps the same way I responded to his good-natured jostling about my being brown-skinned and presumably "left in the sun for too long." All I could do was purse my lips and nod my head in awkward disapproval. I guess living overseas, in New England, and in the bubble of academe have administered me a convenient dose of amnesia about what a majority of people in America really think is acceptable behavior.
I never know what to do in these situations. Part of me wanted to ream him. The other part of me wanted to slink away, hurt and humiliated. It reminded me of the way kids in kindergarten used to tease for my dark skin and Indian heritage. Even then, at the age of 5, I tried to make light of the situation and twist it with a joke. As an adult, I am rapidly losing that sense of humor.
This person teaches young children in our public schools. What if he were teaching my daughter?


5 Comments:
What a LOSER!!! Aren't we lucky to have had the experiences we have had away from such closed-minded people? That person should be fired from his job and is exactly why teachers get a bad rap. I am so sorry that happened TKP.
P.S. I think the "K" stands for KICK-ASS! :)
Love ya,
Meg
Hence my relief to be escaping the Wilderness.
Next time, please ream him. Please.
And maybe the K stands for Kewl!!
xoxo
OMG!! You have a daughter? I had no idea...
All we can do is teach our little ones that people like this are not right, lead by example, and stand up for the things we believe in. This guy will learn some day from his idiotic behavior and will be ashamed of himself. Taking the high road is not always easy, but the right way to go.
Ew, what an idiot. No wonder you have a higher tolerance for MA.
Post a Comment
<< Home