The Best of Palit Family Christmas
As a way of commemorating the ghosts of Christmas past, I have decided to create my personal list of "The Top Ten Palit family Christmas Memories." Here they are in chronological order:
1988: First Christmas in Grand Rapids. I received an ice blue Kermit-the-Frog Casio and proceeded to make musical fusion from the tender age of seven. Also, Sonya and I sadly interpreted some deer hoof prints on the front lawn to be incontrovertible evidence of Santa's existence.
1990: In a heated discussion, Dad mistakenly "leaks" Santa's identity to a young and impressionable TKP by asking the rhetorical question "Thaniya, do you REALLY think a fat man can go down all those chimneys in one night?"
1992: Sonya bursts into tears upon presenting her lengthy Christmas list to Mom and Dad after she hears me claim that "all I want for Christmas is for our troops to come home."
1994: Much to my disappointment, no one alerts me that the "Cross Colours" clothing trend is on the decline BEFORE making my Christmas list.
1996: My high school boyfriend is perplexed by my thoughtful gift of socks and becomes convinced that our relationship is on the decline.
2000: Mom mysteriously gives me the book "The Joys of Yiddish," despite my having never expressly indicated an interest in either Yiddish or the joys thereof.
2001: Christmas in Las Vegas. Who could forget the memorable Christmas brunch in Luxor Casino consumed just beneath a large, rotating convertible?
2002: Dad unveils his own karaoke version of Elvis' "Blue Christmas" to our family, friends, and everyone at Village Inn Pizza.
2003: Mom is photographed with the breadmaker she asked for and was given. Oddly, it is never seen again after Christmas day.
2004: Christmas in Dhaka with friends but no family. I recieved an "Ali G." DVD and actually had to turn on the air conditioner.
Merry Christmas (or "Happy Secular Hindu Holiday" as my sister and I like to say) to all and to all a good night.


1 Comments:
i really think the best part of xmas 2001 was the very feminine gift of barbie to our very male cousin ariel! hahaha!
Post a Comment
<< Home