Saturday, September 23, 2006

Self absorbed musings from a computer lab

Ah yes, another Saturday night in the IDCE computer lab. The library closes at 10pm on Saturdays--who knew?

Don't tell anyone I'm here, shh.

I remember writing a similar post almost exactly one year ago. Then, like now, the pile of work I had to do was almost comically large, the weather depressingly grey and my homework-doing willpower utterly spent. History does repeat herself.

To further delay reading this uplifting 60 page Human Rights Watch Report on "Rape as War Crime" for my Gender and Militarization class, I shall distract myself by telling you what's on my mind...

1. Cookies. My friend Kim mailed me perhaps the most delectable cookies I have ever tasted. Oatmeal toffee chocolate chip cookie-induced nirvana actually hindered me from attending the IDCE 2nd annual Martini party on time last night. I stood alone in the middle of my kitchen in my cocktail dress for almost 15 minutes going "mmm...that's a good cookie" after every solitary bite of all...3...cookies.

2. Geography. It's so much more than state capitals and Plaster-of-Paris elevation maps of Hawaii. I'm taking a Feminist Geography class and I must say it is thoroughly rockin' my world. Clark U is famous for its radical Geography faculty and I believe their spatial ways of bashing the bourgeoisie are beginning to infiltrate my brain...

3. Undergrads. I could write an essay on the puzzling nature and composition of this tiny liberal arts school's undergraduate student body, but I will refrain. All I have to say is that it's a baffling cocktail that I haven't managed to fully grasp yet. Hard core New Englanders (who actually pronounce the world "lobster" as "lowab-stah"), aspiring young Marxists (I call them "Clarxists") from Vermont and upstate NY, South Asian kids, and jocks/jockettes who clearly have a sports scholarship to name a few.

4. Pirates. Shiver me timbers--I almost be forgettin' to mention that the 19th o' September be'd International Talk Like a Pirate Day! I'm such a salty sea dog. What? Don't believe me? Look it up, landlubber!!!

5. My Sister. The 24th (an hour from now) is her GOLDEN birthday. I can't believe that the starry-eyed munchkin whom I used to convince would grow a watermelon in her stomach if she swallowed a seed is actually 24. She'll probably get to celebrate by spending 6 hours in her dental school lab molding model molars or something...

Arr, I best be gettin' back to my homework, before this week's readin' goes down into Davey Jones' locker....Arr....

TKPirate

1 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Blogger Meg Daniel said...

I celebrated International Talk Like a Pirate Day with my kids! Glad to see that this important, well-respected holiday has not been over-looked on the Eastern seaboard!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home