So Punk Rock

My transition to 16-year-old boyhood is now complete.
In addition to my converse high tops, my band T-shirts and my (now expired) contention that the Hardy Boyz are the most under-rated wrestlers in the WWF (check out their high spots!!!), I am now the proud owner of an electric guitar. With my beloved acoustic back in Michigan, I finally cashed in on my dreams of buying a real electric this week. I opted for the economical option of a package that includes the instrument, an amp, and various other implements. The only problem is the totally embarassing box it came in. Note the totally awesome lightning streaks. I was actually spotted walking around town with it, which I suspect significantly diminishes the i-am-so-PUNK-ROCK quotient. Anyway, I've been rocking out in front of my mirror with it at least once or twice a day. I think it looks pretty cool...too bad I still sound like crap...I may be over-strumming...

In other news, my sister and her boyfriend are rolling into Beantown Sunday. I'm meeting up with them to go see that freaky yet educational exhibit Body Worlds, which features over 200 real, plasticized human cadavers "artfully" posed. My sis is nerdily excited about it, but I'm a bit worried---I get sqeamish when the word "mitochondrion" is mentioned in my presence. I hope I don't lose my nerve...or my lunch...
In other Other news, I found out today that Muhammad Yunus, founder of the Bangladeshi organization The Grameen Bank, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize today. I think its wonderful for Bangladesh and for Grameen, even though I'm not always as excited about microcredit as everyone else. Oh well. Hey! That's three Bengalis in a century to win a Nobel Prize. Maybe the next one will be a woman? Or maybe that will take another century.


4 Comments:
I went to BodyWorlds TWICE when it was in Denver. You will totally dig it, Tan. It is creepily cool.
Love your nerdily prego friend, Meg
I wish the rocker package came with knee pads - it would be way more awesome if you slid in on your knees (and could possibly make up for the bad playing). Have fun at Body Works - I am so jealous that you get to see that! - Christie
2004 winner was a woman
I am a regular reader of your blog and am totally addicted to your witty, intelligent and engrossing posts. For someone your age, you also exhibit a very mature and balanced political sensibility. I have a question - you say that you are not that enamored with the notion of microcredit. What are your reasons?
Post a Comment
<< Home