A newly minted Nuyorican
Yesterday I went to Supercuts Plus, the Puerto Rican salon on Main Street, while on my way to study at the library. My eyebrows had reached Bert-from-Sesame-Street proportions and I was long overdue for a waxin'. Living in South Asia and having access to the uber precise method of eyebrow threading has spoiled me, so I was a little nervous about my first wax on US soil. I begged the nice woman to whom I usually (unsatisfactorily) entrust my facial hair NOT to make them too thin. NOT too thin...I must have repeated this phrase near 12 times, insisting that Indian women have big, thick eyebrows and we like them that way. She reassured me, made a sound indicating that I was being a paranoid gring
a and proceeded to press my forehead down against the chair.Chhssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhtt (wax ripping sound)!!!
Suddenly I'm J-Lo, and not in a good way. I actually had to pencil in my brows with black liner to neutralize this semi-permanent startled look that the razor-thin eyebrows give me.
Don't be fooled by the brows that I got, I'm still Tanya from the block.
sigh.


4 Comments:
thanks for your blog post. i'm long over due an eyebrow treatment myself and i've been too scared to go to an american myself. now because of your post i will be spending the evening with my tweezers, some nair, and a microscope mirror.
We should have a directory of all the indian women in all the states that do threading! I used to go to an Indian lady close to my work to get my eyebrows done and I was in eyebrow heaven! Then I had to go and switch jobs earlier this year and I have not been able to locate someone who can thread my eyebrows now and I have been going through the same experience! I even drew it out for her. I pointed to the arch and made sure she understood that the eyebrow needs to be a little arched. I am still walking around with eyebrows that my husband says remind him of soccer goal posts! :-(
can someone please explain this process of "threading" to me?
That's it, dammit. I have to impose a moratorium on reading your blog when I'm sitting in a "Quiet Study Area". This is the third time that your funniness has made me snort. ~ktz
Post a Comment
<< Home