Saturday, February 02, 2008

Prognosis: winter

Boston winters are harsh. They are cruel. The wind slices through you like an icy ninja hurling his icy ninja throwing stars. But they bring out the best, worst and weirdest in people.

Cases in point:

BEST:
People have a lot more patience on the road. Want to cut in front of someone in the left hand turn lane even though YOU are the Bozo who didn’t see the “Right lane must turn right” sign? No problem. Just signal, and someone’s bound to let you in. Want to pull a U-turn in the middle of Harvard Square? Can do! Just make eye contact with the taxi drivers, pedestrians and random Hare Krishnas/Korean Christian proselytizers in the road and let them know your game plan.

WORST:
People are not so nice about winter parking, especially during the infamous Somerville “snow emergencies.” Parking is reduced by half during these days when the plows blow through our narrow residential streets. People place chairs, ping-pong tables and other collapsible furniture in the street to designate their hard-earned, clean-shoveled spot, even though it’s totally illegal. I saw one woman run out into the street after her sister (?) pulled out the car to plunk down a bright orange safety cone, which I suspect was purchased with this purpose in mind. At least it’s not Southie, where I hear physical fights over parking spots are not uncommon.

WEIRDEST:
Despite the dipping mercury, whose measurement never fails to shock me (even as a Michigander), people insist on carrying on with their daily lives as if it were not the arctic. I saw more than one young mother taking her child out for a leisurely walk on the weekend. Of course, the children were in strollers that appeared to be encased in a giant ziplock bag of some sort. But really, why risk asphyxiating your offspring when you could just stay in your heated home? Also, people JOG OUTDOORS in these subzero climes. What?! Every time I see one of these uber-athletes, I feel like yelling out my window “Hey! You there, doing the exercise! That CAN’T be good for your vital tissues! Go inside!”

1 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I agree about the jogging-over-ice phenomenon. I would call that excessive, and it presents empirical evidence of my theory that people who exercise regularly are mentally ill.

I mean, what if an anthropologist came to study our culture and wrote about people who pay money to go to special stinky rooms where they run and run but get nowhere? Or climb thousands of stairs and don't actually move off the ground? Weird.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home