Tuesday, December 27, 2005

bored outta my gourd

I must admit that while being home has been relaxing, comforting, and an opportune time to catch up on my Christmas cookie consumption, I am getting a bit stir crazy. If I have left the house in the past ten days it has usually been to make yet another trip to the mall (shudder) or to see a movie. Its been fun, yes, but at 12 hours of sleep per night, the utter sloth is mounting to levels even I find difficult to bear. I realized my desparation this evening when I found myself balled up once again on the couch in front of the TV, wrapped in a newly knitted Spartan green-n-white blanket (Thanks Mom!). Tired of ABC News and "Arrested Development" DVDs, I looked over at my sister and shouted "Hey! Entertain me!"

My dear old middle school pal Susan came by and visited me. She's been terrified of my Mother since the 7th grade when she acidentally told her to "shut up" over the phone, mistaking Mom for me.

Last night my entire family got dressed up in Indian garb and headed over to a large Indian gathering at someone's house. It was fun for me, as I attend these events once or twice a year. As usual, the food was ridiculously good, the ladies were all decked out in glittery saris, and the rooms were sex-segregated. The aunties and uncles patted my back and pinched my cheeks in congratulations, having heard every detail about my Bangladesh adventures from Mom and Dad. It was nice to feel that "extended family" warmth of the Indian community again...even if it meant explaining several times to people why I DIDN'T go to medical school.

Well, those have been the highlights of the week. Oh, and Memoirs of a Geisha. I disagree with the critics and thought it was pretty good. I'm headed to Chicago for New Year's and hopefully a bit longer. Wishing you all a joyous, prosperous, and calorie-burning nuevo ano...

TKP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home