Sunday, March 19, 2006

God Bless the USA

I visited historic Plymouth, MA with my friends Christie and Peggy last weekend (pictures to come). Plymouth is home to the famous Plymouth Rock, the unfortunate boulder upon which the Pilgrims first "landed," despite the fact that its smaller than your average Lazy Boy recliner. We were disappointed but amused by the oversized pebble that has become an American cultural icon.

We went into a nearby shop tastefully named "Pochahantas" to check out the souvenirs. The shop owner was an old guy, very friendly and VERY Massachusetts. My friends filed out one by one, and when I went to the register to purchase (with irony) a "Plymouth Rock-1620" coffee mug, the owner asked me what country I was from. I told him "The United States of America, sir...I was born and raised in Michigan." He seemed puzzled, but complemented my ability to speak English. "You speak English very well. You'll go far in life." I smiled and thanked him graciously.

3 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, New England. Plymouth Rock was actually MUCH larger a long time ago, but people had been chipping away at it till it became the pebble that it is today. As for the gift shop guy: time and New England isolation have been chipping away at his brain for decades.

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Katie said...

What a dumbass! So severe ignorance is not limited to the midwest, eh?

Last week I actually had to explain to somebody how Bangla is different from Spanish. He seemed to think that only two languages exist: English and Not-English.

You would think that people would get SOMETHING out of watching all that TV!

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger angela said...

wow. sometimes ignorance, stupidity, racism, and the imperial desires of man intersect in such perfectly ironic ways, that we can only sit back and allow the moment to speak for itself. i just have to say, at plymouth rock!

this crap wouldn't happen at freaggle rock.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home