Pull yourself together, man...
Each month when I get my memo from nature that "yes, indeed, I am a woman and women must suffer," I become an emotional mess. Cotton commercials become poignant dramas. Student papers I'm grading tug at my heart strings, causing me to well up with tears and wipe them off the page lest they stain my red grading pen. This week the theme was "wow...parenthood is so powerful and beautiful...sniffle..."
I went to Boston this weekend with a fun IDCE bunch to eat some overpriced-yet-delectable Ethiopian food and catch an Anne Heaton show in Cambridge. Anne sang this song that she wrote for her future child and I instantly started bawling. Part of it is my random thoughts of motherhood lately since one of my very best friends recently discovered she was pregnant. Anyway, it was embarassing as hell--my roomate Leia had to hand me napkin from beneath the vegan carrot cake I was mowing to blow my nose. Yes, the song was beautiful, but I was totally losin' it for a minute there. Reminds me of a Patti Griffin show I saw in NYC in 2004 at which I LITERALLY COULD NOT CONTROL myself. I was doing the "fa-fa-fa" mouth sniffling and everything. That song about kites--it gets me every time.
Pull it together Tanya! If last night was a tear jerker, then this week is gonna be a trail of tears. I have so many things to accomplish by Thursday that I want to cry just thinking about it...and kites...and babies...
Weeeeaaaannh!
TKP, Waterworks Specialist


4 Comments:
TKPull-Ups:
Kind of unrelated but please, please make a South Park avatar of me. I'm so envious of yours.
There's a girl that I like...blek!
xoxox
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tan,
I'm right there with ya...being pregnant puts you in perma-period hormonal stage. I fee like I could cry at EVERYTHING and then throw up on my students the very next minute. What would be really cool is if I could CHOOSE the kid I got to throw up on! Hang in there and grade your papers while a funny movie is on...it helps...TRUST ME!!
M-roo
if i were paid for each irrational behavior and reaction committed during pregnancy...well, i wouldn't be job hunting.
my personal favorites: telling a friend my roommate's band practice was at "moon river" (really in mason); not being able to remember my last name at a dr.'s appt, and having to ask jeremy for "the shorter last name"; asking my mother if she didn't enjoy her dentist visit because "they took all your fucking shoes out"; being unable to watch oprah, telephone commercials, etc; crying at work when a woman told me she really "believed in our cause", but had to go watch american idol.
i could go on for days--believe i have!
your helpful tip for the day: feeling crappy for 1 week, better than 10 months. a sucky trade-off, but a good one.
Post a Comment
<< Home