Weekend Laundry List
It's Saturday. I'm in the library and it is so freakin' cold its like WINTER: PART DEUX or something (after a teaser trailer week of 70-degree highs and bright sunny days). Here's what you need to know:
1. Last night was the IDCE "Spring Fling." Pictures to come. I was the official photographer, so pretty much every picture is of me forcefully bear hugging one of my colleagues.
2. Some undergrads here screened the film "Born into Brothels" last night at Clark with a bit of help from me. I gave an introductory talk about what the film left out: the work of Durbar Mahila Samanawaya Committee (DMSC), the organization I'll be working with in Calcutta this summer. The film makes it seem like the poor helpless kids and their prostitute mothers are immobilized without the saving grace of wealthy foreigners. Not true at all---check out Durbar's website.
3. I want to be a vegan again. Dairy is murdering my stomach.
4. My sister's coming to visit me this weekend for my birthday--yipee!!!
5. The King of Nepal is such a punk. A bunch of my friends are going there this summer, and if I have to miss Bishnu's wedding because of a bunch of stupid protests in Kathmandu, so help me Ganesh...
6. I am wearing a black sock on my left foot, a grey one on my right. Its laundry month again...
7. In my play list this week: lots of Neko Case and Johnny Cash.
8. I'll leave you with a wonderfully relevant quote from Early 20th Century Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore. I started out my little talk yesterday with it. Clark is a very service-learning oriented institution, so it was perfect:
" I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy." -Tagore


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home