Spree Day
Yesterday was Clark University's annual "Spree Day," the yearly Clark tradition during which all classes are cancelled, academic buildings locked, and the University pays for a huge outdoor party--complete with a stage and live bands, free food, a mechanical bull, and a gigantic inflatable tub full of foam. Basically, it was like every day at Michigan State University, minus the Big Ten football team.
Usually, Spree Day is a complete suprise, completely sprung on the hordes of unsuspecting, delighted undergraduate riff-raff. This year in an effort to curb the underage drinking and contain the resulting debauchery, Spree Day was announced months in advance, alcohol was banned, cops were present, and the entire campus was fenced in Orwell-style. People had snarky shirts in protest with phrases like: "Spree Day: It's a Surprise" and "Don't Be Fooled By The Fence That We Got." My favorite was 1984 spin-off "I Love Fence."
It was fascinating to me on an ethnographic level. I saw and recognized pretty much my entire class of students at some point during the day--they were shoeless, wasted, and dancing like hippies. Ah, to be under 25 again! I could almost feel my fine lines and crowsfeet deepening.
I'm not sure what to make of Spree Day quite yet. To most graduate students, it was a nuisance, to others, an excuse to drink Bloody Marys and Mimosas at 8:00am. To me, it was a glorious day that I didn't have to teach in the evening.
On second thought...I love Spree Day.
-TKP


1 Comments:
You love Spree Day and I just love Sprees. The chewey kind ar the best. Mmmm. Candy.
Post a Comment
<< Home