Thursday, March 08, 2007

Happy International Womens' Day!


Here are some of my favorite women. I spent last weekend in Madison, WI with my good friends from high school/college Christie and Peggy and my honorary Bangalee bondhu Katie Z. Sometimes you just need to be around the people in your life who love you because you're you. And who are willing to drive back to the Mexican restaurant you just took the bus home from because you left your notebook with ALL of your important school notes and papers in it on the table.

Picture above: Me and Katie Z. Lover. Fighter. Mother of a first grader and PhD student who constantly underestimates her own brilliance. It's like we were destined to be friends--look at our smiles and our affinity for green jewelery. I love you KT!

My rendering of a New York city hipster. Peggy was fascinated with this stereotype and when I lacked the words to explain the curious species Hipsterus Brooklynitis (based on my January field work in Manhattan and Queens), I simply sketched a short-haired young woman with funky eyewear, leggings and an affinity for obscure bands. "That's our WAITRESS" Peggy insisted all night.

Michigan State fans Kim, Peggy, Christie and myself. Apparently I missed the patriotic alumni clothing memo.


Mmm...The Casbah. Best middle eastern slash meditteranean (sp?) food EVER. Christie talked about the falafel for days after we had dinner there. Too bad we missed the belly dancers (Mondays only).

It's moments like these---when my friends unabashedly dance around the apartment to Justin Timberlake, vodka-sodas in hand, that I sigh and realize just how much I love them.

Do you like my new hat? It's a fitted trucker's cap. I think Peggy and I pulled of the "hardcore gangsters" look quite successfully.


Delicious french fries at The Great Dane Bar and restaurant. I forgot my ID and watched all my friends drink golden microbrews at 11:00am as Wisconsin battled Michigan State in NCAA Basketball.

2 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tanya -

I said "NO BAD PICTURES"!
God, you're such a Mass-hole.
Seriously my eye is like collapsing in that last photo!
aww well. It was great seeing you, and i still have your hand sketched drawings to help me spot these damn hipsters.

- Peggy
(Twitchy Mc Twitch Twitch)

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I MISS YOU ALL!!! Glad you had a good time. :)
-Meg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home