Saturday, March 10, 2007

Sex Work is Work: The 'Radical Notions' of Durbar Mahila Samanwaya Committee, Kolkata India


That was the title of the talk I gave at Tufts University in Boston this past Friday at the Greater Boston Anthropology Consortium Conference. It was a long day and I literally collapsed in exhaustion afterwards, but it was well worth spending my whole spring break preparing for the day. I got great feedback, many positive responses to my research and a good opportunity to practice in a very professional venue. I was especially impressed with the kind and quality of research that such young undergraduate students presented (one sophmore did a sophisticated Marxist inquiry into GAP's "Red" campaign to fight AIDS through consumption of trendy products). This is what I do for fun, people. I am pictured agove with my colleague Jodi (far right) and IDCE professor Ellen Foley--A Michigan State alumna!

Jodi is one of the most gifted public speakers I have ever seen. She gave a talk on The exclusion of women and feminist ethos in the World Social Forum. Excuse the glare--the whole thing took place in an art gallery. It was aesthetically pleasing, but the "no coffee in the gallery" policy was KILLING me all morning...

I tried to be as energetic as possible and avoid standing up and simply reading my paper. It was an uphill battle--I slept for approx. 3 hours the night before. I need a spring break part deux.

Several students presented posters and artwork as well. This was an especially moving exhibit that was a collaboration between Brandeis University and several local organizations. It was a travelling exhibition of paintings done by southern Sudanese refugees called "Leave the Bones and Seize the Land."

1 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You SOOOOOOOOOO kick ass!
Meg :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home